Are you and your child ready for First Step? This list will help you find out!
- Gotten a backpack for your child (without wheels and big enough to zip closed with a folder inside)?
- Gotten a lunchbox and made sure that your child knows how to open any items he/she may bring for breakfast or lunch (if applicable)?
- Labeled your child’s backpack, lunch box, jacket, etc with his/her name?
- Packed a full set of extra clothes to keep at school (including pants/shorts, shirt, underwear, and socks)?
- Had your child stop taking daily naps? We do not take naps at WECC, and this transition is easier if children are not still used to napping every day at home.
- Had your child practice asking to use the bathroom and made sure that he/she is comfortable using it independently? Boys should also be shown how to use the urinals. We know this is a big transition!
- Worked with your child on proper hand-washing procedures?
- Helped your child practice saying his/her teachers’ names?
- Helped your child get excited about coming to school?
If everything is checked off, your child should be ready for a great school year as a Watkins Star!